Friday, September 21, 2018

Antique Table Restored From Harvey Flood...


One of our wonderful clients (who was actually a 
referral from another client)
who resides in Kingwood has been coming to 
use for a few years now off an on
to redo tons of furniture for them.
Well, last year there home was flooded in Harvey.
Their whole first floor about half way was flooded.
They saved as much as they could and this antique 
table set was some of what they could save.
I stopped taking orders for table sets
 because it's just too time consuming.
Although, I made an exception for them of course!
Here is some of the chairs.  They flooded about half way as you
can see from the pictures.
Table too but forgot to take photos of that.
They wanted a darker stained look.



It took forever to strip them all, some of the previous finish
embedded into the wood.  Which would come out properly.


First coat below.
At first we started to strip it and that previous finish
wasn't coming out of the wood.
So, I called my clients and had a discussion with both of them 
on other options.  All of us agreed on a stained top and seats finish
with painted body, chair legs in a light cream and antiqued.
But, as I was staining the table tops and chair seats, 
John and I noticed that the stain was taking extremely well.
Before I painted this beautiful antique set that was in a massive flood
and rescued at that...I had to let them know my thoughts on it.
So I stained a chair to see how it came out. 
It looked like it took well so they asked what I thought.
I liked it, I thought it went with the vintage feel of the 
set.  They said go for it they trust my 
opinion completely, stain everything no painting!
(See how amazing my clients are!)


I went to work on them.
Applied 2 coats on everything with a 
third coat in some areas to even out the finish.


My back was killing me by day 2!


Table has 4 leaves.  
Yes this was a large set.




Sealed everything in a semi gloss sealer.






They also added a teak chair that I refinished 
in espresso.








I'm so happy we decided to stain it all instead of painting it!

No comments:

Post a Comment